The same flavors that make a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich taste good are even better in this rustic roll. For a vegan version, use vegan mayonnaise, then switch out the bacon for seitan or smoked tofu or even the grilled eggplant from the Coca Escalivada. Make it your own.
- Yield: 12 Rolls
- 1 recipe Classic Pizza Dough or Slow-Rise Pizza Dough
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 2 tablespoons good-quality mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, larger leaves torn into smaller pieces
- ½ cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- ½ cup diced plum or cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher or sea salt
- Place a cast-iron grill griddle on the grill grates. Prepare a medium-hot fire in your grill.
- Roll out the dough to a 19 x 14-inch rectangle on a floured surface. In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise and garlic together. Spread this over the surface of the dough, leaving a ½-inch border of dough. Sprinkle with the basil, bacon, and tomatoes. Starting with a long end, roll the dough over on itself to form a tight cylinder. Pinch the ends closed and gently squeeze the cylinder to make it uniform. Using a serrated knife and a gentle sawing motion, slice the cylinder into 12 rolls. Place the rolls on a tray sprinkled with cornmeal. Brush the tops of the rolls generously with olive oil and sprinkle with the salt.
- Using a grill spatula, transfer the rolls the griddle. Close the lid and grill for 8 minutes. Check the rolls. If the underside of the rolls is getting too brown, turn them over. Close the lid and continue to grill for 8 to 12 minutes more, or until the rolls have risen and browned.