Here is our American version of calzones, with a filling of spicy pulled pork. You can buy pulled pork, slow-smoke it, or even cook it in a slow cooker. We use just a bit of Parmesan cheese in each of the calzones, even though you might not normally think of pairing cheese and barbecue.
- Yield: 4 Calzones
- 1 recipe Slow-Rise Pizza Dough or Classic Pizza Dough
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 1½ cups shredded pulled pork
- 0.33 cup spicy barbecue sauce, such as Sweet Baby Ray’s
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in your grill.
- When ready to grill, divide the dough into 4 portions. Roll them into rounds about 6 inches in diameter on a lightly floured surface.
- Combine the pulled pork and barbecue sauce and spoon equal amounts of the pork mixture into the center of each circle of dough, spreading to within 1 inch of the edge. Sprinkle each calzone with 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan. Fold over each circle of dough to form a halfmoon. Crimp the dough edges to seal in the stuffing.
- Grill them over a hot fire or on a hot griddle for about 3 minutes per side, until nicely browned. Serve at once.