A northeastern version of a dish now served all over the country.
- 1 chicken (2¼ lbs/1 kg), cut in serving pieces
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced ginger
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brandy or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon salt
Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
- ½ cup (125 ml) distilled white vinegar
- ½ cup (100 g) sugar
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 red finger-length chilies, pounded or minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
How to Make It
- Mix the Marinade ingredients in a bowl. Add the chicken and combine thoroughly with the Marinade. Set aside in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
- Grill the chicken over hot charcoal or under a broiler, turning from time to time until browned on all sides, about 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix all the Sweet Thai Chili Sauce ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer until the sauce has a thin, syrupy consistency. Set aside to cool.
- Serve the chicken and Sweet Thai Chili Sauce accompanied by plain or glutinous rice and Green Papaya Salad.