Pomegranate molasses (available in specialty grocery stores or online) is simply pomegranate juice and sugar that has been reduced to a thick syrup. Its slightly sweet and tangy flavor perfectly balances the crisp and spicy watercress in this salad. I prefer to use watercress, not upland cress, as its firm texture holds up better to the dressing. If you can’t find a striped, or Chioggia, beet, use a yellow beet instead. The dressing can be made up to two days in advance.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 teaspoon toasted poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small bunch watercress, thick stems discarded
- 1 small striped beet, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- ½ cup roasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Whisk together the oil, pomegranate molasses, poppy seeds, and honey in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the watercress, beet, fennel, and pistachios on a serving platter. Drizzle with the dressing.