- Yield: 6 Servings
- Preparation Time: 45 Minutes
- 3½ oz (100 g) couverture chocolate or other good quality chocolate
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2¾ oz (80 g) walnuts
- 1 tablespoon butter for the caramelizing and extra for the baking dish
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons ground walnuts (or other nuts) to line the baking dish
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar plus extra for dusting
- 5 eggs
- ¾ cup heavy cream
How to Make It
- Chop the chocolate and melt in a double boiler. Caramelize the sugar with 1 tablespoon water in a small frying pan over medium-low heat until golden brown. Add the walnuts and butter; stir until the nuts are covered in caramel. Remove from the pan and spread on a parchmentlined tray. Allow to cool, then chop coarsely. Sprinkle the chopped walnut brittle with flour and stir.
- Place a deep baking sheet in the oven and preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C). Grease 6 small ramekins or small canning jars (4¾–5 fl oz (140–150 ml) capacity) with butter and sprinkle with ground walnuts. Separately, bring 2 quarts water to a boil.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and confectioners’ sugar for 5–10 minutes. Separate the eggs and beat the egg yolks one by one into the butter-sugar mixture. Stir in the melted chocolate and the chopped walnut brittle. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the other mixture. Divide among the prepared jars. Place the jars onto the hot baking sheet and carefully pour the boiling water into the baking sheet until the jars are submerged about ¾ in (2 cm). Bake for 30 minutes.
- Shortly before the end of baking, beat the heavy cream until nearly stiff. Remove the dishes from the oven and turn out onto plates. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and serve with whipped cream. Goes well with strawberries.