- Yield: 10 Servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 2 medium onions, very thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 sleeves Ritz crackers, crushed by hand or in a food processor (about 2 ½ cups crushed)
- 2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 ½ cups (6 ounces) grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (or domestic Parmesan cheese)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 × 13-inch oval baking dish with oil and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, 8 to 9 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper and set aside. Scatter 1 cup cracker crumbs in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour 1 can tomatoes, juice included, over the crackers. Layer half the onions on top of the tomatoes; repeat the layering with the remaining can of tomatoes and onions. Sprinkle 1 cup cracker crumbs over the top onion layer.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, Cheddar, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and basil. Spread over the top of the layers and top with the remaining ½ cup cracker crumbs. Bake the pie until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.