Raw, or no-bake, cakes are all the rage these days and this vegan treat is both delicious and safe to eat for gluten- and dairy-sensitive eaters. This dessert is inspired by ice cream s’mores and raw Oreo cakes. It is incredibly easy to make: blend, knead, cut out, chill, and assemble! Vary the filling flavors by substituting other berries or fruit for the raspberries.
- Yield: 4 filled cookies
- 5 ounces (150 g) Medjool dates, soaked for 1 hour in enough water to cover and drained
- ¾ cup (100 g) mixed roasted nuts (pistachios, almonds, walnuts, and cashews)
- 2 tablespoons (10 g) cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) coconut oil, melted, or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch salt
- 5¼ ounces (150 g) soaked cashews, drained
- 3½ ounces (100 g) raspberries
- 3 tablespoons (40 g) coconut butter, melted (optional)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons (40 ml) agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Pinch salt
To make the Date and Nut Cookies
- In a food processor, combine all the cookie ingredients and process into a sticky mixture.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface and place it between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Press it out to about ¼-inch (6 mm) thick between the parchment sheets. Use a round cookie cutter about 1½ inches (3.5 cm) to cut out 8 cookies. Refrigerate the cookies for 2 hours. To make the Raspberry Cream
- In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients, and blend into a smooth cream. Cover and refrigerate until assembly, or freeze for 30 minutes for an ice cream–like version.
- Remove the cookies from the fridge and spoon the raspberry filling onto 1 cookie. Place another cookie on top and press the cookies together to make the filling stick. Repeat with the remaining cookies and raspberry cream. Serve straight away.