Carnaroli risotto rice and coconut milk are both favourite ingredients amongst my storecupboard staples, so making this splendid dessert is something I can usually do whenever the fancy takes me. I’ve paired it with inky blackberries and lime zest here, but you could happily vary the fruit to suit the season.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- ¾ cup (150 g) carnaroli rice
- 13½ fl oz (3 x 400 ml) cans full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup (50 g) caster/superfine sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 1½ cups (200 g) blackberries
- 1 lime zest
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C (375˚F) Gas 5. Put the rice into a deep sheet pan and stir in the milk, squashing any big lumps down with the tines of a fork.
- Don’t worry about smaller lumps, they will amalgamate fully as the mixture cooks. Add the sugar, salt and bay leaves. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 35–40 minutes, until the rice is soft and creamy.
- Give everything a stir halfway through the cooking time and take care not to let it dry out (add a dash of water if it seems to need more liquid).
- Remove the pan from the oven and scatter over the muscovado sugar, swirling it gently with a fork to create a rippled effect. Scatter with the blackberries and lime zest, and serve.