- Yield: 30
- Finikia dough, without the syrup or filling
- 2 cups ground walnuts
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- 1 grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons Ikarian pine or other honey
- Powdered sugar or granulated sugar, for garnish
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350F° (175°F).
- Prepare the finikia dough and divide it into 3 balls.
- In a bowl, combine the walnuts, cinnamon, cloves, raisins (if using), orange peel, and honey.
- Roll out a ball of dough to a round about 15 inches in diameter. Take a 3-inch (8 cm) glass or cookie cutter and cut rounds out of the dough. Place 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center of each circle and fold over to form a half-moon. Wet the inside edges with a little water and press closed with your fingers or with the tines of a fork. Continue until the dough and filling are used up. Gather up any excess dough and roll it out and fill it, to finish off the cookies.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 25 minutes. Remove the skaltsounia from the oven and cool slightly on a rack. Sift a generous amount of powdered sugar over them.