Surprise, surprise: another smoothie! But during summer the strawberry grower at the Barossa market sells huge trays of tempting fruit picked so ripe they are just crying out to be eaten. The only thing to look out for with berries of any kind is that unless you’re buying freshly picked fruit direct from the grower they will have been layered on top of each other in punnets and refrigerated, causing them to sweat when taken in and out of the refrigerator. If you are buying them in advance, turn them out onto a plate in a single layer with some absorbent paper and refrigerate to stop them going mouldy.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 250 g strawberries, hulled
- 125 g blueberries
- 125 g raspberries
- 1 banana (see note), peeled
- 1 tablespoon black chia seeds, plus extra to serve
- 270 ml coconut milk
- 2½ cups (625 ml) natural coconut water or water
- Mint leaves and extra berries, to serve (optional)
- Place all the ingredients, except the mint leaves and extra berries, in the jug of a high-powered blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into 4 glasses and serve immediately, topped with extra chia seeds, berries and mint leaves, if using.