Whether you make it in a skillet or pasta pot, this is such an easy, fast recipe, it deserves its place in a book devoted to one-dish meals. This is one of the best ways to use leftover ham. But if you don’t have the ham, or the peas for that matter, the dish is still worth considering, because this macaroni and cheese is as quick to make as the boxed kind, but so much better in flavor.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2½ cups grated sharp Cheddar (about 10 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup milk
- ½ pound ham, diced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; cook the macaroni until just done, about 8 minutes. Drain and return to the pot.
- Put the pot over the lowest possible heat and add the butter, cheese, mustard, milk, ham, and peas. Stir until the cheese melts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.