This vegetarian stew is flavored North African style with ingredients such as cumin, lemon and apricots. I like to serve it over hot couscous.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- 19 oz (540 ml) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed in cold water and drained again
- 14 oz (398 ml) can diced tomatoes
- 14 oz (398 ml) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 dried apricots, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup (60 ml) raisins
- 2 tsp (10 ml) grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh mint, cilantro or parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to Make It
- Combine the chickpeas, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, stock, olive oil, onion, carrot, zucchini, garlic, apricots, raisins, lemon zest, cumin and cayenne in your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on the low setting for 6 hours, or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the mint. Season with salt and pepper and serve.