If you don’t mind a little mess, Sloppy Joes are a great go-to meal for busy weeknights, post-game gatherings, and picnics alike. They’ll put a smile on the face of even the pickiest eaters! For a slightly brighter flavor, dice up a good-sized green pepper and add it to the mix.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 3 Hours
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chili sauce
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper, taste
- 6–8 rolls or hamburger buns
- In a large pan, brown the beef over medium heat. Set it aside to drain and cool. Combine all prep day ingredients in a large bowl. Add the mixture to a labeled 1-gallon freezer bag, squeeze the remaining air out of the bag and seal it. Lay the bag flat to freeze.
- Allow the beef to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. On serving day, pour the contents of the freezer bag into the slow cooker, cover it, and cook on low for 2–3 hours. Divide the mixture evenly among the hamburger buns.