This is one of my favorite summer salads. We usually have a glut of zucchini in our garden on Ikaria, where we spend the summer. The pine nuts add a bit of substance to this fairly light salad. When the temperature rises, it’s a very refreshing dish.
- ½ cup (65 g) pine nuts
- 3 medium, preferably organic zucchini
- 1½ cups (220 g) teardrop or cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup (25 g) chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 small grated lemon zest
- 1 recipe Greek Lemon–Olive Oil Dressing or, for something richer, Feta-Herb Ladolemono
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Toast the pine nuts in a small, preferably cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan back and forth for a few minutes, until lightly browned.
- Using a vegetable peeler or a mandoline, shave the zucchini lengthwise into strips. Place in a bowl. Add the tomatoes, mint, and lemon zest. Drizzle in the dressing and toss. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve.