- Yield: 12 Servings
- ½ small green cabbage, shredded
- ½ small red cabbage, shredded
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups [200 g] thinly sliced English (seedless) cucumber
- 2 Tbsp ground mustard
- 2 Tbsp celery seeds
- 1 Tbsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups [400 g] sugar
- 2 cups [480 ml] apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp ground sumac (optional)
- 2 tsp salt
How to Make It
- Combine the green cabbage, red cabbage, onion, cucumber, mustard, celery seeds, and pepper in a large bowl, tossing well to mix evenly. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, sumac (if using), and salt and bring to a boil, stirring to help dissolve the sugar. Pour the hot liquid over the vegetable mixture and toss to combine. Cool to room temperature. Cover the slaw and let it chill, soften, and rest in the refrigerator overnight, or for at least 8 hours prior to serving. The slaw will keep in the fridge for up to 7 days.