Full of protein and savory flavor, Sausage and Lentil Soup is the perfect dish to serve with a fresh crust of bread on a cool day. And it tastes just as good if not better as a leftover, so it’s also a great recipe for a couple who know they won’t have time to cook during the week.
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 9 Hours
- 12–14 ounces kielbasa sausage, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium celery rib, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 (32-ounce) carton beef stock
- In a large pan, brown the sausage over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 2–3 minutes more until they are translucent. Drain the mixture and let it cool. Combine all prep day ingredients (including the sausage and onions) in a large bowl. Label a 1-gallon freezer bag, place it in another large bowl, and pour in the soup mixture. Squeeze the remaining air out of the bag and seal it. Lay the bag flat to freeze.
- Allow the soup to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. On serving day, pour the soup mixture into the slow cooker, cover it, and let it cook on low for 8–9 hours.