This soup is particularly good for babies and children. It is also wonderful for people who are suffering from any illness as it is easy to digest and very tasty.
- Yield: 2 Servings
- ½ cup tuvar dhal
- 2 tsp tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp cumin seeds, coarsely ground
- 5 black pepper, coarsely ground
- 2½ em (1 in) tamarind or ½ tsp
- tamarind concentrate
- 2 Tbs fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 3 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1 Tbs ghee
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 pinch asafetida
How to Make It
- Wash the tuvar dhal and place it with 1 cup of water into a heavy-bottomed pot or pressure cooker. Cook for 20-30 minutes in the pot or 4-6 minutes in the pressure cooker. Remove from heat and process in an electric food processor with the water until smooth. Set it aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot add blended dhal, tomatoes, cumin, 2 cups of water, black pepper and tamarind. Bring to boil and turn off the heat.
- To prepare the tempering heat ghee, add black mustard seeds. When they begin to splutter add curry leaves and asafetida frying for a few seconds.
- Add this tempering to the boiled soup and mix in the coriander.
- Serve hot. This soup can also be eaten with rice.