Seasoned red-roasted duck sold by Chinese restaurants and food stores is the basis for this richly-flavored curry.
- ½ roasted duck (1½ lbs/750 g)
- 2 tablespoons Red Curry Paste
- ½ cup (125 ml) coconut cream
- 1½ cups (375 ml) thin coconut milk
- 1 large or 2 small tomatoes, cut in wedges
- ½ cup (60 g) seedless grapes or diced pineapple (optional)
- 1 cup (150 g) pea-sized eggplants, or 1 small eggplant cut into bite-sized chunks
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 10 Thai basil leaves (horapa)
- 2-4 red or green finger-length chilies, cut into strips
How to Make It
- Remove all bones from the duck and cut the meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Place the coconut cream in a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add the Red Curry Paste, stirring well.
- Add the duck and stir well, then add the coconut milk, tomatoes, eggplant, grapes or pineapple (if using), kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with the basil leaves and red or green chilies. Serve with plain rice.