Granola can be a healthy, nutrient-dense breakfast or snack, but it often comes laden with sugar, saturated fats, and overly processed ingredients. We wanted to bring granola back to where it began: a collection of toasted nuts, grains, and seeds held together in clumps by a kiss of sweetness. We opted to omit oats from our recipe to try something new. We loved the crunch toasted quinoa added, and balanced it with quinoa flakes, which mimicked the texture of rolled oats and added a more delicate crunch, which we found appealing. Almonds and sunflower seeds were mild enough to pair well with the quinoa, while unsweetened flaked coconut contributed flavor without making our granola too sweet. Maple syrup and a hefty amount of vanilla rounded things out with rich, warm sweetness and, once baked, held everything together in granola’s signature clumps. Stirring in unsweetened dried tart cherries gave the finished quinoa granola pleasant fruitiness. If you buy unwashed quinoa (or if you are unsure whether it has been washed), be sure to rinse it before cooking to remove its bitter protective coating (called saponin).
- Yield: 9 Cups
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups whole almonds, chopped coarse
- 2 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 cup prewashed white quinoa
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 cups unsweetened dried tart cherries, chopped
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk maple syrup, vanilla, and salt together in large bowl. Whisk in oil. Fold in almonds, coconut, quinoa flakes, quinoa, and sunflower seeds until thoroughly coated.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking sheet and spread into thin, even layer. Using stiff metal spatula, press on quinoa mixture until very compact. Bake until deep golden, 45 to 55 minutes. 4 Remove gra
- Remove granola from oven and let cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Break cooled granola into pieces of desired size and stir in dried cherries. Serve. (Granola can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.)
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.