When Judith Was In High School, Her Hometown Angilo’s Pizza served this pizza bread, beloved of starving teenagers and their frugal parents alike. This sandwich version of cheese pizza is simple, but the flavor of the grill will satisfy even the fussiest eater. With a fresh green salad, it makes a family-pleasing casual meal.
- Yield: 4 Hoagies
- 4 (6-inch) hoagie rolls, split in half lengthwise
- Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
- 1 cup marinara or pizza sauce
- 2 cups grated provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning or a mixture of dried oregano, basil, and parsley
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in your grill.
- Brush the rolls on all sides with olive oil and place, cut-side up, in 2 disposable aluminum pans. Spread about 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce on each cut side. Sprinkle with the cheese and herbs.
- Place the pans on the grill grates, close the lid, and grill for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the rolls are toasty. Put the sandwiches back together, gently press with your hands, cut in half, and serve hot.