- 2 lb 4 oz (1 kg) large potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10½ oz (300 g) twaróg, curd cheese or cream cheese
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, preferably organic
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large white onion, very finely chopped
How to Make It
- Put the potatoes into a large pan of cold water, add a pinch of salt and bring the water to the boil over a high heat. Turn the heat down and simmer gently for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft when pierced with a knife. Drain and leave to dry out completely.
- Mash the potatoes, add the curd cheese or cream cheese and mash together – I like to put the mixture through a potato ricer, to make sure the potatoes and cheese are very well combined.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan. Cook the onion over a low heat for at least 10 minutes or until completely soft and slightly caramelized. Leave to cool slightly.
- Add the onion to the mashed potato mixture and season well with salt and pepper. Leave to cool completely before filling the pierogi. You can make this filling up to 2 days in advance.