Party nuts are a crowd-pleaser. I started entertaining at a really early age, if for no other reason than I was always bent on trying a new recipe that had caught my eye. By the time I got my first apartment, I was an expert at putting out a cocktail-hour spread that almost always included these party nuts. Use kosher salt for added texture.
- Yield: 3 cups
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups assorted unsalted nuts (pecans, walnuts, and/or almonds)
- Pinch of ground cayenne
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly coat the parchment with cooking spray or a thin film of vegetable oil.
- Spread the sugar evenly in a 12-inch cast-iron pan. Cook over medium heat. As the sugar melts, use a rubber spatula to carefully begin stirring. When the sugar is melted, add the nuts, cayenne, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Stir to coat, then immediately transfer to the baking sheet and spread out as thinly as possible. Let cool completely.