- 1–1¼ pounds (500 g) fresh okra
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 28 ounces (825 ml) whole canned tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock
How to Make It
- Trim stems off the okra and cut crosswise into halves.
- Combine peppercorns, cumin seeds, salt, oregano and thyme in a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle to grind.
- Over medium-high heat, sauté in olive oil the garlic, red pepper, and onion until they begin to soften (about 5 minutes).
- Add in the okra, tomatoes, chicken broth, and spices. Stir to combine well.
- Keep on medium heat for 20–25 minutes or until okra is tender enough to pierce with a fork.