- Yield: 16 Servings
- 2⁄3 cup almond oil
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (do not use quick-cooking or steel-cut oats)
- 1 cup Kamut flakes
- 1 cup wheat flakes
- 1 cup barley flakes
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3⁄4 cup instant nonfat dry milk
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons salt
How to Make It
- Position the racks at the top and bottom third of the oven (or do the best you can dividing your oven into thirds) and preheat to 350°F.
- Stir the oil, honey, and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until the honey dissolves. Continue heating, stirring a few times, just until a few whiffs of steam come off the top. Set aside off the heat.
- Mix the rolled oats, Kamut flakes, wheat flakes, barley flakes, almonds, dry milk, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, and salt in a big bowl. Pour in the oil mixture. Stir until everything’s moist. Spread the mixture into even layers on 2 large rimmed baking sheets.
- Bake until crunchy and irresistible, about 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through baking. Cool on the sheets set on a rack for at least 1 hour, maybe 2. Don’t mess with it as it cools. It’ll harden to a great crunch. Then break the granola into bits, chips, and flakes for storage.