Beautiful orange-fleshed, green-lipped mussels contrast with green basil leaves in this simple but excellent seafood dish.
- 4 lbs (2 kgs) fresh mussels in their
- shells, soaked and cleaned well Large handful of thai basil leaves (horapá)
- ½ cup (125 ml) lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 coriander roots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
How to Make It
- Place the mussels in a steamer over boiling water and sprinkle with the basil leaves. Steam for 10 minutes or until all the mussels are cooked and open. Remove from the heat and wait for 2 minutes before opening the steamer.
- Mix the Dipping Sauce ingredients together, bring to a boil, then set aside to cool.
- Serve the mussels accompanied by the Dipping Sauce.