Mushrooms & Tofu is a family creation. When my twin niece and nephew were 3 years old, they started asking to help in the kitchen. There were lots of funny mishaps, but out of those mistakes came this recipe. This dish will work as a vegetarian entrée or as a side dish.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups halved mushrooms
- 2 cups cubed extra-firm tofu
- 2 heaping tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ onion, minced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- Steamed rice, for serving
- Add the oil to a 12-inch cast-iron skillet and heat over medium heat. Carefully arrange the mushrooms in the hot oil, cut side down. Let the mushrooms brown for a few minutes without stirring.
- Meanwhile, pat the tofu dry and toss with the cornstarch. Add the tofu and onion to the mushrooms and let cook until golden.
- Add the soy sauce and water. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 2 minutes. Serve with steamed rice.