When she fails to steal Scrooge’s Number One Dime, Magica De Spell consoles herself by nibbling these cookies.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- 9 oz chestnut flour
- 4½ oz confectioners’ sugar
- 4½ oz butter, softened
- 1 pinch salt
- 2¼ oz ground almonds
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 egg yolk, for glazing
How to Make It
- Spread out a very thin layer of the flour in a nonstick frying pan and toast it for a few minutes on high heat (2 to 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the layer).
- Let the flour cool, then sift it into a bowl and mix with the confectioners’ sugar, softened butter, salt, and ground almonds.
- Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise, scrape out the seeds with the back of a knife, and add them to the mixture.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper until it is as thin as an authentic florin (about 1/8 inch), then place the dough and paper in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to firm up.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Cut out circles in the dough with a glass or circular cookie cutter and place them on a baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg yolk and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until they are golden brown.