With a refreshing lemon vinaigrette, chickpeas, and spinach, this salad makes a great light lunch or dinner alternative to a traditional mixed greens salad. For heartier fare, stir in some chopped cooked chicken.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 2 Minute
- Cooking Time: 9 Minutes
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat fusilli (short twisted spaghetti)
- 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisins
- 1⁄4 cup (1 ounce) shredded fontina cheese
How to Make It
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- While pasta cooks, grate rind and squeeze juice from lemon to measure 4 teaspoons and 1⁄4 cup, respectively. Combine rind, juice, olive oil, and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add spinach, chickpeas, and raisins; toss well.
- Drain pasta, and immediately add to spinach mixture, tossing until spinach wilts. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.