Lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon glaze and a lemon candy this is definitely the cupcake for lemon lovers!
- Yield: 18 cupcakes
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 25 Minutes
- ½ cup (125 ml) butter, softened
- 1½ cups (375 ml) sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) milk
- 2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) icing sugar
- 18 jelly lemon candy slices
- 18 small mint sprigs (optional)
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line one 12-cup muffin pan, and 6 cups of another muffin pan with paper liners. Place the butter, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla in a bowl and beat until well combined and lightened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Mix in the lemon juice and milk. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a second bowl. Gradually mix the flour mixture into the egg mixture until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the baking cups. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until puffed and golden and the top of a cupcake springs back when gently touched in the center. Cool the cupcakes on a baking rack to room temperature before removing them from the pan. The Glaze
- Place the lemon juice in a bowl. Whisk in the icing sugar very gradually, stirring constantly to form a smooth mixture. Spread on the tops of the cupcakes. Decorate the top of each cupcake with a lemon candy slice. Let the glaze set. Tent the cupcakes with plastic wrap until ready to serve; can be made up to a day before serving. When ready to serve, arrange the cupcakes on a serving tray and, if desired, garnish each with a small sprig of mint.