- Yield: 4 Servings
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
For the Salted Cod
- 7 fl oz (200 ml) olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, whole
- 3½ oz (4 x 100 g) pieces of salted cod (pre-soaked, & with the skin left on)
For the Purrusalda
- 3½ fl oz (100 ml) olive oil
- 8 leeks, cleaned & chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 pt (500 ml) water
- salt & pepper, to taste
- fresh herbs/herb-infused olive oil, to serve
How to Make It
- To first prepare the salted cod, warm 200 ml of olive oil in a pan to 55°C (130°F) and fry the whole garlic cloves. Remove the garlic and cook the cod for 3 minutes on each side. Take the cod out, and put aside. Reserve the oil for later.
- To prepare the purrusalda, heat 100 ml of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat, adding the leeks, potatoes, carrots, sliced garlic cloves, and water. Cook until the vegetables are soft, then drain and reserve the stock.
- Use a liquidiser to blend the vegetables, adding the stock slowly until you obtain a smooth cream. Season, and set aside.
- Make a pil-pil sauce with the oil used to cook the cod in step 1. Pour most of the oil from the pan into a separate dish, using a straining spoon so that as much of the gelatin (visible as small bubbles) from the cod skin remains in the pan. Cook slowly over a low heat, stirring continuously with a sieve, until an emulsion is formed. Slowly add more of the reserved oil, and continue to stir vigorously until you have a thick sauce (about 15 or 20 minutes).
- To serve, arrange the purrusalda in a deep dish with a piece of cod, then pour over the pil-pil sauce. Decorate with fresh herbs or herb-infused olive oil.