Flipping through Veganomicon, it came as quite a shock to us that there were no kale salad recipes. Not a one! A decade ago we were only on the cusp of the kale revolution and had no idea how this chewy, leafy, cruciferous veg would rule everything around us.
Happily, vegan Caesar salad still, after all these years, reigns supreme as the most requested salad recipe. And it’s arguably even better made with kale. Here’s a simple and ridiculously flavorful variation on vegan kale Caesar, made all the richer and satisfying with plenty of tahini. While salad purists will want only some croutons in the mix, we love this creamy crunchy salad enhanced with bits of red onion, sun-dried tomato, or even the occasional artichoke heart.
- Yield: 3 Servings
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- ½ cup smooth tahini
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white or yellow miso
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 heaping tablespoon capers with brine
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound kale (ruffled, red, lacitano, etc.)
- 2 cups homemade croutons, from Caesar Salad with Roasted Garlic Croutons or store-bought vegan croutons
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Optional veggies: paper-thin slices of red onion, shredded carrot, thinly sliced sun-dried tomato, sliced artichoke hearts
Prepare the Dressing
- Pulse all the ingredients together in a blender until smooth. Taste and add another dab of miso or shot of lemon juice, if desired. Keep refrigerated for up to 2 days until ready to use.
- Chilled dressing will thicken up just a little. If you prefer a thinner dressing, whisk in a tablespoon of hot water. Assemble the Salad
- Wash and spin dry the kale. Tear away any thick stems, then tear the remaining kale with your hands into bite-size pieces. Transfer to a large salad serving bowl. Add the croutons, additional vegetables if using, and the dressing. Sprinkle with the nutritional yeast. With metal kitchen tongs, toss the salad to completely coat kale and croutons with dressing. Finish with another dusting of pepper and serve immediately.