- Yield: 8 Servings24 (2-inch) 5 cm pancakes
- 1½ cups chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1½ cups chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup chopped wild fennel
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 3 red onions, minced or grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup spelt flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 scant teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup carob powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Olive or other oil, for frying
How to Make It
- In a bowl, combine the mint, dill, fennel, spinach, and onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and baking soda, carob powder, and a little salt and pepper. Whisk in the water and egg to make a thick batter. Pour the batter into the greens mixture and stir to combine.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches of 4 to 6 pancakes at a time, drop heaping tablespoons of the batter into the hot oil. When the bottom sets, flip over to cook on the other side and remove when crisp and dark, 4 to 6 minutes total.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.