Not only do I enjoy scallops for their remarkable flavor and quick cooking time, but they are also a healthy and sustainable seafood option. This yummy miso-dressed quinoa bowl topped with sticky honey Sriracha scallops is impressive enough to serve to a special guest, but quick enough to make on a busy weeknight. It’s always good to have a few entrée recipes like this in your arsenal that are versatile enough for most any evening.
- Yield: 2 Servings
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons miso paste
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 10 large Alaska scallops, patted dry
To Make the Miso Quinoa
- Rinse the quinoa well in a fine-mesh sieve under cold water. Transfer the rinsed quinoa to a saucepan and add the chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 12 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork, remove from the heat, and keep covered until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the miso paste, vinegar, lime juice, sesame and peanut oils, ginger, and garlic until combined. When the quinoa is ready, stir in the cilantro, green onions, and miso dressing. Set aside. To Make the Scallops
- In a cast-iron skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, Sriracha, and honey and cook, stirring constantly, until bubbling and fragrant. Season the scallops with salt to taste and add them to the hot pan. Sear the scallops for 3 minutes, or until browned and caramelized on the bottoms. Turn and sear on the other side for 2 to 3 minutes (depending on the size of your scallops), being careful not to overcook. Promptly remove the scallops from the heat and transfer them to a plate.
- To plate the dish, evenly distribute the miso quinoa between 2 serving bowls. Top each bowl of quinoa with 5 seared scallops. Drizzle any remaining pan juices from the Sriracha honey mixture over the scallops. Serve promptly.