Tomatoes are The Focal Point Of So Many Wonderful Topping combinations. The mixtures can be naked or lightly dressed with a vinaigrette and topped or not with a shaving of cheese. If you’re a tomato purist, simply top a charred piece of sourdough bruschetta with a juicy sliced off-the-vine tomato with a sprinkle of sea salt and drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. When tomatoes and basil are at their peak, you’ll want
to devour two or three of these tangy sourdough bruschetta. See our Bruschetta Toppings sidebar for more ideas.
- Yield: 8 BRUSCHETTA
- 8 slices artisan sourdough bread
- 10 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 12 large fresh basil leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Coarse kosher or sea salt for sprinkling
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in your grill.
- Toast each slice of bread for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until it has good grill marks.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes and capers. Roughly tear the basil leaves and stir into the mixture. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Serve spooned on top of the grilled sourdough bread.