These are made in a slightly unusual way, but the result is a moist and rich cookie bar.
- Yield: 2 dozen
- 1½ cups (355 ml) water
- 1 cup (120 g) grated carrots
- 1 cup (165 g) packed sulfite-free raisins or chopped prunes
- ¾ cup (255 g) honey
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon (2.3 g) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (6 g) salt
- ½ teaspoon (1.1 g) ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon (0.5 g) ground cloves
- 1 cup (125 g) Bob’s Red Mill brown rice or sorghum flour
- ½ cup (60 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon (4.6 g) baking soda
- ½ cup (50 g) rice bran
- ½ cup (56 g) flax meal
- 1 cup (150 g) Enjoy Life Not Nuts! Mountain Mambo trail mix
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
- In a saucepan, combine water, carrots, raisins, honey, oil, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves. Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, or until carrots are soft. Let cool slightly
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda, rice bran, and fl ax. Add carrot mixture to flour mixture and stir until well combined. Stir in trail mix.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33-cm) baking pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until firm in the center. Let cool and cut into bars.