Quickly caught on and its menu grew and grew. Besides creating the signature sandwich, the Lobster BLT, Hill, his daughter Carrie Pino, and the talented cooks behind the scenes function as something of a test kitchen as well, developing the seafood salads, dips, and sauces sold in the cafe and retail fish market.
Hill sees technology and government regulations as the biggest challenges for fishermen to make a living these days. But it is still a far cry from the day his grandfather traded 300 pounds of lobster for a Thanksgiving turkey.
- Yield: 6 Servings as an Appetizer
- 1 pound smoked fish
- 6 tablespoons salad cubes
- 1¼ cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped green bell peppers
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped red or white (or mixture) onions
- Freshly ground black pepper, optional
- Tabasco sauce, optional
- Place smoked fish in a food processor and pulse until ground finely (or to your liking). Transfer fish to a large covered container. Add salad cubes, mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, and lemon juice. Stir to mix well.
- Add bell peppers, celery, and onions and stir to mix well. Add black pepper and/or Tabasco to taste. Cover container and refrigerate until needed. Serve with crackers.