I’m tired of the answer to croutons being “Just leave them off.” At home it’s simple to use your favorite off-the-shelf bread or Sandwich Bread to create croutons for your soups and salads. Vary the seasonings to suit your taste and avoid allergens; leave off the olive oil and seasonings if you plan to freeze them.
- Yield: 2 cups (140 g)
- 2 cups (140 g) of Sandwich Bread, cut into uniform cubes (about ½ inch/13 mm or desired size)
- Olive oil in a spray mister
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon dried parsley
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat the broiler (use the normal broiler setting, or high if your oven has a high and a low setting).
- Spread the bread cubes on the lined baking sheet, without overlap.
- Lightly spray the bread cubes with olive oil. Sprinkle the seasonings over the bread cubes, if desired.
- Place the baking sheet on the second shelf below the broiler. Broil for 1½ to 2½ minutes (depending on the size of your croutons and how quickly your broiler cooks). Watch them closely so they don’t burn.
- Remove the croutons from the oven, flip them over, and broil for another 1 to 2 minutes. Your croutons should be lightly browned, slightly crunchy, and ready for your salad.