Corned Beef and Cabbage might be one of the most traditional Irish dishes, and you don’t have to wait for St. Patrick’s Day to make it. It’s a warm and cozy favorite that’s unexpected and delicious all year long. It’s also a fun meal to serve for friends.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 Hours
- 1 head purple cabbage
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 (3–4 pound) corned beef brisket
- 1 corned beef seasoning packet
- Thyme sprigs, for garnish
- Lightly spray the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place the cabbage and onion in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place the corned beef brisket fat-side up over the cabbage. Sprinkle the seasoning packet over the corned beef. Pour 1½ cups water around the cabbage and corned beef.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours, until the corned beef is tender and the cabbage is cooked.
- Serve, garnished with thyme.