- Yield: 8 Servings
- ½ (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 0.12 tsp. salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- Dash of salt
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 450°. Roll piecrust into a 13-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate; fold edges under, and crimp. Prick bottom and sides of piecrust with a fork. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until piecrust turns golden brown. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- Combine ¾ cup sugar, cornstarch, and ⅛ tsp. salt in a heavy saucepan; gradually whisk in milk and egg yolks. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly; continue to boil, whisking constantly, 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in coconut, butter, and vanilla. Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add ¼ cup sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves. Spoon hot filling into baked piecrust. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges. Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven to a wire rack, and cool completely (4 hours).