- Yield: 4 Servingsas part of multicourse meal
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon Asian chilli powder or ground red pepper (cayenne powder)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless chicken breast or thigh meat, cut into 1-in (2.5-cm) cubes
- 6 green onions (scallions), bottom 6 in (15 cm) only
- 12 bamboo skewers
How to Make It
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ginger, honey, soy sauce, turmeric powder, Asian chilli powder and orange juice. Add the chicken and mix well to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator 30 minutes to overnight.
- Twenty minutes prior to cooking, set the chicken at room temperature to take off the chill and soak the bamboo skewers in water so that the skewers don’t burn on the grill.
- Cut the green onion bottoms into 1½-inch (3.75-cm) lengths. Skewer the chicken and green onion pieces, alternating each.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. If possible, leave one section of your grill on low heat. Grill on medium-high, 2 minutes each side and then move the skewers to the low heat to finish cooking, covered, for another 2 minutes. Watch the skewers, as the sugars in the honey and orange juice may caramelize fast!