These are addictive, you have been warned – all that crisp tortilla and oozing melted cheese. It’s Mexico’s answer to the toasted cheese sandwich. You can play around with the fillings, too: try sliced salami or chorizo, or add chopped red chilli for a spicy kick, and sliced tomatoes. And if you can’t get Emmental, any mild, hard cheese will do.
- Yield: 2
- 4 wholemeal flour tortillas
- 2 fistfuls of ready-grated Emmental
- 2 slices of air-dried, roasted or boiled ham
- 40 g mushrooms, thinly sliced
- You’ll have to make these in two batches. Heat a nonstick frying pan until hot and slide in the first tortilla. Scatter a quarter of the cheese over and cover with a slice of ham and half the mushrooms, then top with another quarter of cheese and a second tortilla.
- In a couple of minutes have a peek and, if it’s looking nicely browned, flip it over carefully with a fish slice. Cook on the other side, pressing down gently with the slice to compact the quesadilla.
- Once brown on both sides, slide it on to a chopping board, cut into wedges and start munching. Then start all over again with the second tortilla.