Cathy Bennett is one of Newfoundland and Labrador’s foremost businesswomen. At the time of her appearance on One Chef One Critic, she owned and operated nine McDonald’s restaurants in St. John’s.
That’s not bad for someone who began her career flipping burgers at McDonald’s on Kenmount Road. It became quickly obvious to us that her success was no fluke. She’s extremely intelligent and articulate,
and has one heck of a brain for business. Cathy Bennett is also a philanthropist who regularly contributes to many charities. I think she was terrified we’d make her cook hamburgers, because a look of profound relief registered on her face when we said we’d prepare this recipe for cedar plank salmon.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 untreated cedar planks, soaked overnight
- 1 cup (250 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (250 ml) brown sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) honey
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) cayenne
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
- 4 salmon steaks or fillets, about 4 oz (120 g) each
- Heat BBQ grill on high. Mix all ingredients except salmon together in bowl. Stir until smooth paste is formed. Brush salmon on both sides with paste.
- Place 2 pieces of salmon on each cedar plank. Place planks on grill and close lid. When edges of salmon and top begin to turn dark, remove from heat.