This creamy custard is perfect after a light summer supper, or whenever you want a dessert that offers a little dose of comfort. You can serve it with sliced fresh strawberries and blueberries or lightly dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 6 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 4½ cups whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Six custard cups or 4-inch round ramekins
How to Make It
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until blended. Add the sugar, salt, and milk, whisking until thoroughly incorporated. Pass the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve to ensure that it is completely smooth. Stir in the nutmeg and vanilla.
- Divide the custard evenly among the custard cups or ramekins. Place the cups in a large baking pan and add enough hot water to the pan to come halfway up the sides of the cups. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the custard is set around the edges and just barely jiggles in the center. Carefully remove the custard cups from the water bath and let cool on a wire rack.
- Serve the custard warm, at room temperature, or chilled. Once cooled, the custard can be covered with plastic wrap and stored for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.