Although you could serve these gorgeous grilled artichokes as an appetizer, in parts of the country where they are grown most notably California’s coastal areas they are more popular than potatoes as a side dish for dinner.
- Yield: 10 Servings
- Preparation Time: 25 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- 4 to 5 large whole artichokes or 12 to 15 baby artichokes
- ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced green onions or scallions
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon, crushed
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Sea salt or salt
- Ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Snipped fresh tarragon (optional)
- 2 lemons, each cut into 8 to 10 wedges
How to Make It
- Wash large artichokes; trim stems if desired, and remove loose outer leaves. Snip off the sharp leaf tips. If using baby artichokes, remove outer leaves to reach pale green or yellow leaves on bottom half. Cut darker green portion of leaves off top half of artichoke; discard. Cut off stem and trim any remaining green from base of baby artichokes.
- In a large pot bring a large amount of lightly salted water to boiling; add artichokes. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes for large artichokes or 10 minutes for baby artichokes or until a leaf pulls out easily.
- Place artichokes in a large bowl of ice water to cool completely. Drain artichokes upside down on paper towels. Cut artichokes in half from tops through stems; use a spoon to scoop out the fibrous cores, leaving the hearts and leaves intact.
- For tarragon drizzle, in a screw-top jar combine the ⅔ cup oil, the vinegar, green onions, 2 tablespoons snipped tarragon, and the mustard. Cover and shake well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush artichoke halves with additional olive oil. For a charcoal or gas grill, place artichokes, cut sides down, on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 7 minutes; turn artichokes and grill for 5 to 7 minutes more.
- On a serving platter place grilled artichokes, cut sides up. Shake tarragon drizzle; pour some over artichokes. If desired, sprinkle with snipped tarragon. Serve with lemon wedges. Pass the remaining tarragon drizzle.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.