With its firm texture and absorbent nature, tempeh tastes incredible when combined with cauliflower and earthy Indian flavors. In keeping with tradition, serve this with roti or rice or both!
- 1¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons (445 ml) vegetable broth, divided
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 8 ounces (227 g) tempeh, simmered, cut into ¾-inch (2 cm) cubes
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon (35 ml) neutral-flavored oil, divided
- ½ medium red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon (6 g) minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon (6 g) curry powder (mild or hot)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1½ cups (150 g) cauliflower florets
- ½ cup (49 g) 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces green beans
- ¼ cup (33 g) sliced carrot rounds
- ¼ cup (36 g) diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons (48 g) tomato paste
- Chopped tomato, for garnish
- Minced fresh cilantro, for garnish
How to Make It
- Stir together 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of broth, 2 teaspoons cumin, the coriander, and 1 teaspoon oil in an 8 x 11 inch (20 x 28 cm) baking dish. Add the tempeh cubes, stirring to coat. Marinate for 1 hour or cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tempeh and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned. Remove the tempeh and set aside. To the same skillet, add the onion and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic, ginger, and salt and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the curry powder, turmeric, the remaining teaspoon cumin, and the cayenne pepper if desired. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, green beans, carrots, and bell pepper, the remaining 1¾ cups (415 ml) broth, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are the desired tenderness. Add the tempeh back to the skillet and stir to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Garnish with tomato and cilantro.