Although we call this a breakfast stack, it also makes a terrific, quick-and-easy dinner if you’ve marinated the tempeh ahead of time.
- Yield: 4 Servings, plus ⅓ cup (80 ml) sauce
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) dry white wine, or additional broth
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) tamari
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 4 teaspoons (27 g) pure maple syrup, divided
- 4 teaspoons (20 g) Dijon mustard, divided
- 1 teaspoon organic ketchup
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces (227 g) tempeh, simmered, cut in half laterally, then vertically to make 4 patties
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (20 g) minced onion
- ¼ cup (56 g) vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons (15 g) nutritional yeast
- 1 to 2 tablespoons (15 to 30 ml) white wine vinegar
- High heat neutral-flavored oil, for cooking
- 2 English muffins, split and toasted
- 2 cups (40 g) baby arugula, divided
- 8 (½ -inch, or 1.3 cm) slices of tomato
How to Make It
- Combine the broth, wine (if using), tamari, liquid smoke, 2 teaspoons each of the maple syrup and mustard, ketchup, and sesame oil in an 8 x 11 inch (20 x 28 cm) dish. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper. Marinate the tempeh for 1 hour, or up to 24 hours, refrigerated.
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion for 3 to 5 minutes until translucent. Transfer to a small blender and add the mayonnaise, nutritional yeast, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vinegar, and the remaining 2 teaspoons each of maple syrup and mustard. Process until smooth. Taste and add the additional vinegar, if desired. Process again. Return the sauce to the small skillet: the residual heat should keep it warm. If not, heat very gently over low heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully put the tempeh in the skillet to cook. It may spatter. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until browned. Turn over to cook the second side, for 3 to 5 minutes, until also browned.
- Put an English muffin on each plate and top with ½ cup (10 g) of baby arugula, 1 tempeh patty, and 2 slices of tomato. Lightly sprinkle salt and pepper on the tomatoes. Drizzle with the sauce and serve.