- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2¼ lbs peeled sweet potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- scant ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp chopped green onion
- ½ tsp finely chopped fresh red chile (or more if you want them hot)
- plenty of butter for frying
How to Make It
- Steam the sweet potatoes until completely soft, then leave in a colander to drain for at least an hour.
- To make the sauce. Whisk together all the sauce ingredients until smooth; set aside.
- Once the sweet potatoes have lost most of their liquid, place them in a mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients (except the butter). Mix everything together, preferably by hand, until the mix is smooth and even; do not over-mix. The mixture should be sticky; if it’s runny add some more flour.
- Melt some butter in a non-stick frying pan. For each cake, use a tablespoon to lift some mix into the pan and flatten with the back of the spoon to create a not-too-perfect disc that is roughly 2 inches in diameter and 3/8 inch thick. Fry the cakes on medium heat for about 6 minutes on each side, or until you get a nice brown crust. Place in between two sheets of paper towels to soak up the excess butter. Serve hot or warm, with the sauce on the side.