I’m particularly fond of this dip because of its hint of sweetness and bright green color. The avocado makes it extra creamy, and the sunflower seeds give it texture and compliment the flavor of the tahini. Give it a try with the Seeded Apricot and Pecan Crackers on page 101. Make up to one day in advance, but don’t stir in the lemon juice until right before serving.
- Yield: 1 ¾ cups
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 ounce bag frozen peas
- ¼ cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
- ½ avocado
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Aleppo pepper
- Bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the peas and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to cool completely. Shake to remove as much water as possible.
- Place the sunflower seeds and garlic in a food processor and process until finely chopped, 10 to 15 seconds. Add the peas, cilantro, avocado, oil, lemon juice, tahini, and cumin. Process until smooth, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve drizzled with oil and sprinkled with Aleppo pepper.