- Yield: 8 Servings
- Preparation Time: 2 Hours
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- ¼ cup honey
- ⅓ cup powdered milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups lukewarm water (about 105°F)
- 1 stick (8 tbsp.) butter, melted
- 2 tsp salt
- 5–6 cups bread flour, plus more if necessary
- 4 cups cooked pork roast
- 1 cup water
- Hoisin sauce
How to Make It
- In your stand mixer’s bowl, using the paddle attachment, combine yeast, honey, powdered milk, baking powder, and water. Stir to blend.
- Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Mix in melted butter and salt.
- Change paddle attachment to dough hook. Add flour, a little at a time, mixing at lowest speed until most of flour has been absorbed, and a soft dough forms.
- Continue mixing/kneading dough for 5 minutes. Dust the dough with flour, if necessary, to keep dough from sticking.
- Place dough in a greased bowl. Spray top with vegetable oil to prevent dough from drying out while proofing. Loosely cover dough. Let double in size.
- To assemble pork buns, divide dough into ten pieces just larger than a golf ball.
- Roll out and flatten each piece of dough into a round circle about a quarter of an inch thick.
- Place a portion of the pulled pork in the center and gather edges up around filling.
- Using your thumb and index finger, pinch top and slightly twist it clockwise about 30 degrees to add a decorative twist to bun.
- Place each pork bun on a square piece of parchment paper about 2 inches × 2 inches or just large enough to hold the pork bun.
- Pour 1 cup water into the Instant Pot. Place prepared pork buns onto a bamboo steamer. Place into the Instant Pot. Bamboo steamers come in many sizes, so choose one that easily fits inside your Instant Pot.
- Select Steam mode on Instant Pot and steam for 10 minutes. Use a quick steam release to release the steam.
- Serve steamed pork buns with hoisin sauce.