Steak and potatoes are a classic duo for a satisfying weeknight meal, and using our Dutch oven allowed us to streamline cooking and cleanup to a single pot. We decided to pair simple steak tips with a horseradish-spiked potato salad. Small, low-starch fingerlings were perfect since they cooked up creamy and didn’t require much prep. Starting the potatoes in just an inch of cold salted water and then bringing them to a simmer ensured that they cooked evenly; meanwhile, we marinated the meat. Once we had drained the potatoes, we seared our steak tips in the Dutch oven and removed them to rest while we made the potato salad.
A combination of sour cream and mayonnaise kept the dressing light and tangy, and including celery leaves as well as chopped celery added dimension. Horseradish nicely accented the meat and the potatoes. Sirloin steak tips, also known as flap meat, can be sold as whole steaks, cubes, and strips; we prefer to purchase whole steaks and cut them ourselves. Look for potatoes that are about 2 inches long. Small red potatoes measuring 1 to 2 inches in diameter can be substituted for the fingerling potatoes. If celery leaves are not available, increase the parsley to ½ cup. The strength of prepared horseradish can vary greatly; start with 1 tablespoon and add more according to taste. Buy refrigerated prepared horseradish, not the shelf-stable kind, which contains preservatives and additives.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ pounds sirloin steak tips, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1½ pounds fingerling potatoes, unpeeled, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 celery ribs, minced, plus ½ cup celery leaves
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1–3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
- Combine Worcestershire, ¾ teaspoon salt, and garlic powder in medium bowl. Add steak tips and toss until evenly coated; set aside.
- Place potatoes and 1 teaspoon salt in Dutch oven and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat and cook until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and spread into single layer on rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons vinegar and gently toss to coat. Refrigerate potatoes until slightly cooled, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wipe pot clean with paper towels. Pat steak tips dry with paper towels and season with pepper. Heat oil in now-empty pot over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add steak tips and cook until well browned on all sides and meat registers 120 to 125 degrees (for medium-rare) or 130 to 135 degrees (for medium), 6 to 10 minutes. Transfer steak tips to serving platter and let rest while finishing salad.
- Whisk mayonnaise, sour cream, celery, onion, horseradish, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar together in large bowl. Add potatoes, celery leaves, and parsley and gently toss to combine. Serve with steak tips.